Thursday, September 26, 2013

Challenge: Going Places

The Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog posted their weekly challenge earlier this week. 

Fantabulous Cricut Challnege #179 Going Places.

I was immediately excited for this challenge since I haven't started my vacation photos from my cruise through the Mediterranean. I had four photos of my husband and I waving goodbye from the ship. One of those photos would make it to my page.



Bon Voyage!



I thought the photo would be my inspiration, but it turned out that a lone piece of patterned paper bought, maybe, in 2003 would be my true inspiration. Yes, the highly colorful piece of patterned paper with images of travel on it drove everything from color to design. I don't even know how I remembered I had this paper or knew where to look for it - but I easily located it. 

I had one sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper with this design. Yikes. 

This is the type of pattern that you need to see - the designs are tightly woven together and use bright colors. I couldn't let this paper be regulated to just a mat. So I chose to create a photo frame with the patterned paper (and mat in black) in a 5 x 7 size. In other words, I treated the patterned paper as if it WAS another photo. Next, I chose my photo and printed it in 5 x 7 and used bright blue cardstock as a mat. I made sure that the patterned paper frame and the photo were in opposite directions and overlapped them by just a couple of inches. This is a new technique for me, and I'm anxious to use it again with the right patterned paper.

Now, I had to choose background paper. I wanted a subtle pattern that didn't distract from the main pattern frame. Once again, I was inspired by the patterned paper. I loved the bright pink in the paper! It was such a different choice for me on a page like this. Normally, I'd go with yellow or blue. Something that resonated with the theme, but I fell in love with the pink. The pink patterned paper and the mat are both from The Paper Studio, The Basics paper pack. 

The rest of the layout came together quickly. Bon Voyage! was digitally cut from the Cricut Cartridge, Phrases. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted some sparkle, so I found a coordinating pink glitter paper from DCWV, Glitzy Glitter Cardstock Stack. The anchor was digitally cut from the Cricut Cartridge, Going Places. The compass was also cut from Going Places, and journaling stamp (Stampendous, Travel Words) in black ink from Color Box  gave me a place to write the date. 

Do you think the non-traditional colors for a cruise work? 
How would you showcase the patterned paper differently? 

Now, it's your turn. Find some inspiration for a layout with the theme Going Places. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great layout! I really like how you did the title around the photo and the fun anchor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Missy. We were on our way for vacation, and Bon Voyage works, but I wanted something specific to show that it was a cruise.

    ReplyDelete

Keep the comments coming @ ScrapbookerPhD..