Saturday, October 12, 2013

Stretch You Imagination: Combine Challenges

Want to join ScrapbookerPhD's first Challenge. Click HERE to read all about it. 

When I am looking for great inspiration for a project, I naturally check the challenge blogs. Sometimes, though, I work on a challenges and realize that I haven't pushed myself, or my card looks plain, or the layout seems to remind me of several others that I have created. That's when I combine challenges. 

Here's the story of this Hanukkah card.


I started with nothing to make. No inspiration. Hanukkah wasn't even a thought at the time.
When that happens, I look for a Sketch Challenge. I found a sketch to work with at CAS: Color and Sketches. (#46). Now what? I remembered that Paper Playtime (#20) was still hosting a color challenge: red, yellow, and blue. Perfect. 

I created my own version of the sketch and with the colors read, yellow, and blue in mind. If you look at the card, I completed the base with the two colorful patterned papers cut diagonally with a strip of red between. I embossed the blue cardstock and placed it in the middle.  Now what? 







That's where Created With Love's (#61) Holiday challenge influenced my decision. Instead of the traditional blue, white, and silver for Hanukkah, I would use the red, yellow, and blue! Ideas were popping. But, wait, there is more... Card Crafter's Circle  (#96) challenge was to use three different embellishments. 

Now it was time to create the middle of my Hanukkah card. 

I used gift card folder (embellishment 1) onto yellow cardstock. The folder does hold a gift card, but I placed a circle tag inside. Next, I wanted to bring out more red, so I chose three buttons, threaded them in red, and adhered them at two corners (embellishment 2). Finally, I remembered that I save Hanukkah related postal stamps. That was the third and final embellishment I used. This particular Hanukkah postal stamp matched the patterned paper with it's pops of fun colors. 

Warning: At this point, my card no longer qualified for the CAS: Color and Sketches. I did not use a stamp anywhere, and adding all of those embellishments negated the CAS: Color and Sketches rule of Clean and Simple designs. 

Instead, I entered Craftin Divas Sentiment Challenge. 

How many challenges have you combined to make the perfect project? 

1 comment:

  1. Great card. Love it. Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our Any Holiday Challenge!
    ~~Chris

    ReplyDelete

Keep the comments coming @ ScrapbookerPhD..