Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Opening Day at ScrapbookerPhD

Technology seemed to be leaving me behind. Was I the only one without a blog? Not anymore. Welcome to my blog: ScrapbookerPhD. It's my foray into the world of publishing, selling, and creating unique scrapbooks, cards, and other handmade crafts. Any project that I work on starts with an inspiration. This can be anything from a piece of patterned paper, a sticker, a photo, or, even, glitter. 

Recent Project.

Magazine Submission: Winter

A recent magazine call for submissions included the theme of winter. I knew that I had the perfect photo for inspiration, a photo of my German Shepherd Dog, J'Fa, in the snow during a storm in January of 2011. The photo was crisp and clear, showing J'Fa focusing on his snow-covered toy. 

Since I live in the south, this type of snowstorm is rare, and I wanted my layout to showcase the feeling of freezing. I used three different snow-related patterned papers (DCVW, The Stack 8 and The Paper Studio, All Seasons II), and digitally cut the penguin (Silhouette). Mr. Penguin is sitting on top of a glittery snowball with the phrase, Below Zero (Cricut, Graphically Speaking). The January Silhouette title rounded out this layout. 

J'Fa Winter
I had many supplies left over from this layout design. For example, I only used small amounts of the patterned paper. This is where I let my imagination take over. How would I change this layout if I had more photos? What do I love about this layout that I could enhance? How can I meaningfully use the rest of my supplies? 

My inspiration for a follow-up project was the penguin. I fell in love with the penguin, and I wanted to use another style of penguin (Cricut, Create a Critter 2), and a snowman (Cricut, Create a Critter 2). I loved the pop of glitter in the original layout, and I wanted to use it again. I knew I wanted the snowman to be cut from that glitter paper. A small left-over journaling card was a great find in my "random" stash. 


Winter

What do you think of the transformation? Does it work? What would you do differently? 
Want this layout? Send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comments coming @ ScrapbookerPhD..